Jaguar XK150 (1957-1961)
As an answer to competition from BMW and Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar replaced the XK140 in it's lineup with the XK150. There were several exterior changes to the new model, as well as upgrades in performance and suspension.
The flat, divided windshield of previous XK models was replaced by a single curved piece. The hood was now wider and longer and opened down to the fenders. The parking lights were mounted on the top of the fenders and featured a red light, so the driver could tell when they were turned on.
The XK150 was Jaguar's third variant of the XK production cars, following the XK120 and XK140. It was produced in three body styles; fixed-head coupe (FHC), a convertible referred to as the drophead coupe (DHC), and the roadster, which was an open two seater. The coupes had small back seats, the Roadster had no back seat.
Interior changes included inside door handles and a leather-trimmed dashboard replacing the walnut one on earlier models. The doors were made thinner to provide more interior space.
Whereas the XK140 had drum brakes, the XK150 had disc brakes on all four wheels. Buyers could order an XK150 with drum brakes if they preferred. They could also choose between wire wheels and solid wheels.
The XK150 was offered in a variety of colors, including black, British racing green, Carmen red, claret, Cornish gray, Cotswold blue, indigo blue, imperial maroon, mist gray, pearl gray, Sherwood green and white.
In 1958, Jaguar introduced the XK150S, equipped with a 3.8L version of the 3.4L dual-cam engine. With a new, improved cylinder head and triple carburetors, the motor produced 265 horsepower. Reports show the S-model could exceed 135 miles-per-hour and hit 60 from a dead stop in seven seconds. The XK150S was not available with automatic transmission.
During five years of production (1957 to 1961), Jaguar produced approximately 6,600 XK150 models. XK150S production was much less - approximately 1,300 built between 1958 and 1961.